Thursday, May 30, 2013

About me...



The beginning is always the hardest. So, a little about me, and how I ended up where I am. I was born and raised in Dayton, Ohio, one of the quickest dying cities in the country. There are people trying to bring it back to life, but from my perspective, it is not working. No matter how hard I try to escape, there is always something bringing me back. The last time, it was more of a push than a pull.

I was married, for 10 years, to a very troubled man. Despite my love for him, in the end, I did what I felt was best for my children. For them, seeing a man with rage anger on a daily basis was doing more harm than either my husband or I realized. A month and a half after moving to Washington, and finding the home of my dreams, a friend sent me an article detailing the effects domestic violence has on children. As I mentally check marked the items already affecting my children while hiding in the bathroom, it did not matter how much I wanted to stay and make it work. My instinct as a mother took over, and without much thought, the next day I waited for him to leave for work and then loaded my kids and what little would fit into my beat-up Trailblazer, and headed to the Spokane woman’s shelter.

It has been a little more than a year since I left, and while the pain has become more of a deep ache, my journey is far from over. I finally have the strength to share my journey. In my life I have been touched by many kinds of struggles – from severe depression, anxiety, and grief to simply finding my way spiritually. There is no rhyme or reason to what I post or when I post it, but I hope to touch at least one person with my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment