Tuesday, September 9, 2014

#WhyIStayed

There is a treading topic on Twitter right now that says #WhyIStayed.  It really struck me when I saw it. It's hard to pinpoint one reason why I stayed for 11 years. I could say it's because I loved him, but that's not true because how do you love a stranger?

It always comes back to fear for me. On all different levels. Fear about the reaction and destruction. Which is why I chose to flee.

However, on a more positive note, some are including #WhyILeft in their tweets. I wasn't in a place of considering myself. It was all about protecting my children from the destruction of long term exposure to domestic violence. I read one short article about the symptoms it creates, and I was gone the next day without truly thinking about it. Almost like I didn't have a choice.

Two and a half years later, I know, without a doubt, I made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment